Cockroach Horror of the Basic Variety

I need to put a disclaimer on this one.  This is how I remember it but it was a reallllllly weird circumstance, and several years ago, so ...

We get a call about a dispute between a mother and son involving a knife in an apartment complex.

We arrive and contact the involved parties.  According to the mom and siblings, the young man did threaten his mother with a butcher knife.  I think he may even have confessed to it but anyway ... he cooperates with being taken into custody.

He did not have and was nowhere near the knife when we contact him but I did see it laying on the kitchen counter.

He is placed in the back of my patrol car and for whatever reason one officer is having a conversation with him with the back door open and I am sitting in the driver's seat, listening.  Maybe the other officer was my car partner that evening.  I really don't know.

In the course of the conversation, this young man admits he stabbed his girlfriend tonight.  In the neck.

What??  Where????

He doesn't know the address but can take us there.  He doesn't know where she is.

This is all feeling very "Twilight Zone."

Okay, well, we are going to do what we have to do.

The young man directs us to an address about a mile away, maybe two, and tells us there is an old man that lives in the residence.

This place ends up being a house broken up into a few apartments.  The apartment in question is downstairs.

Myself and at least one other officer (I totally remember who this officer was because of what happened, it is embedded in my memory) go and knock on the door.

A man with white hair answers the door, we converse briefly and he gives us permission to come in and look for the girlfriend or ... whatever he let us in for.  He was weird.

The apartment is very sparsely furnished.  There is a bed in the living room.  Kind of hospital-cot-looking.  The kitchen was in front of us when we walked in the front door and there wasn't much going on in there.

But it was DARK.  All the lights were off.

Flashlights deployed.

We check the front of the apartment and don't see anything of interest.

There is a room at the end of a hallway where there is a piece of furniture.  I think it was a fabric-covered ottoman, but it could have been a chair.  It was the only furniture in the room and it was just kind of placed in front of the door, not blocking it or anything, and not against the wall.  Just a piece of furniture in the middle of the room.

With blood on it.  Fresh blood.  Oh, and there was a pen knife on the floor.  The only other item in the room.

Dang!  What the heck is going on here?

We check the bathroom.  Nothing.

The other officer opens a door in the hallway and says, "Oh my God!!"

"What???  What is it?"  I ask as I walk towards him.

"Cockroaches!!  LOTS of them!!"

"What?  Well, close the damn door!!"

LOL

Ewwwwww......

We exited that place post-haste.

The resident, who we discovered was a Registered Sex Offender, didn't have much to say about whatever happened inside of his apartment.

We were able to confirm, some how, some way, by phone, I am pretty sure, that the girlfriend was okay.  However she refused to give us ANY information on her whereabouts or what happened that night.  She would not make any statements to help us with the DV part of the evening.

We took the young man to the jail and booked for ... something.  I can't remember if his mom wanted him charged or if we went ahead and charged him with DV based on his own admission.  Of course he was in custody when he admitted to the DV but we had NO IDEA about the DV when the officer was talking to him and he disclosed it, so ....

The possible outcomes are endless.

The girlfriend or the mom could have bailed him out.

The girlfriend and/or the mom could have failed to appear in court to testify against him.

What were they doing at that old man's residence?  There didn't seem to be any drug involvement.

Just ... WEIRD. 

And gross.  Cockroaches are GROSS.  I am glad I didn't look in that closet.  It's making me twitchy to think about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance Man Trauma

The fence and the .... well, jerks

Academy Casualties